I found this cookie recipe online. The cookies are cake-like and perfect for frosting filling. I modified the frosting to my own style since I love to flavor frosting with different balsamic vinegars for a sweet and savory balance. The result is light and fluffy and flavorful without being too sweet or filling.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temp.
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- one 8 oz package of cream cheese
- ½ stick of butter
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- ¼ cup of harvest spice balsamic vinegar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- Cream butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth.
- Add pumpkin, vanilla and egg and beat until combined.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients, beating on medium to low speed until fully mixed.
- Spoon heaping spoonfuls of mixture onto baking sheet with parchment.
- Dough will be sticky.
- Bake until puffed and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Allow to fully cool.
- Make frosting by beating all ingredients until creamy (see photo below)
- Cut cookies in ½ and fill with frosting. (see photos below)
- Drizzle with glaze made from powdered sugar liquefied until thick but runny with lemon juice. Drizzle with more balsamic (optional). Dust with more powdered sugar.